Thursday, October 25, 2012

Lauren, you're not in Vermont anymore

Hello from San Francisco!

My faboo sister Susan had her conference today so I walked her to the hotel where the conference was (Psychiatrists wear very sensible shoes) and we said goodbye until lunch. I left and found my way to that part of the city where the trolleys turn around. There was a huge line at 8:30 in the morning. Tourists. Anyway I found myself on Market street and knew that at the other end of this street is where Susan and I were having lunch. I also knew that there was supposedly good shopping around here and I had some money burning a hole in my pocket. So I started walking. It was drizzling rain but I didn't care - I love love love walking around a big city and I was as happy as can be. I think I was smiling like a complete idiot because I was getting some interesting looks.

Finally I stopped someone who looked like a local and asked them "Can you look people in the eye walking down the street here? I know in New York you can't without getting punched in the nose so I thought I should check." He looked amused and told me that San Francisco is a very friendly city. So far I concur.

My next interesting experience was this guy who was drumming on a plastic pickle tub. He wasn't very good. I glanced at him as I kept walking and he stopped drumming and yelled, very loudly, "How much do you get paid to suck dick?!?!" Then went back to drumming. I mean really!!! I kept walking and was shocked until he stopped again and yelled something else, trying to be as anti-establishment as he could be while drumming a plastic pickle tub. Somehow I felt better as he kept yelling things and decided it wasn't directed to me personally. And that's the story I'm sticking with.

Later, I found my way into Bloomingdales. I could hardly breathe it was so beautiful. I also could hardly believe the price tags. So as soon as I decided this was a browsing only stop, I saw my shoes. They were the least expensive ones there and so gorgeous that I had to have them. Erica, the sales lady and my new best friend, told me that if I go to the concierge and show him my VT drivers license (we were BFF pretty quickly) I can get a 10% visitors discount. Done! Alex the concierge was so nice (I know that's his job but still I enjoy nice people) and he told me if I spend more than $200 he had a gift for me. Well on my way out after spending WAY less than $200 I sadly told Alex that I didn't qualify for a free gift but it was so nice meeting him. He said "I'm not supposed to do this..." and slipped a pink ribbon cookie and pink rubber breast cancer awareness bracelet in my bag. So sweet!!!

Well wouldn't you know that as soon as I walked out of Bloomingdales there was a homeless man who came right up to me and said "Can I have some money? I'm hungry!" I said "I'm so sorry you're hungry - here's a pretty cookie." Then he said "No! I want money! I'm diabetic!" My reply was "Eat it when your blood sugar is low! Have a nice day!" And off I went.

On my walk back up towards the Ferry Building where I was meeting Susan for lunch, some guy decided to start walking with me. First he was small talking about the San Francisco Giants, and I nodded politely. Big mistake. Suddenly he was talking about his Uncle Joey and random sick cousins...this lasted about 7 blocks. Finally he took a left while I went straight. Free at last.

Do I attract crazy? I'm just asking...no offense to Sean.

Anyway we had a fabulous lunch and then my new best friend Coco gave us fabulous facials. And I have about 4 restaurant recommendations from those to whom I spread sunshine.

Just another day in the life.

No comments:

Post a Comment