Sunday, October 21, 2012

It's Not Personal, It's Just Business

Last night Sean and I went to a Roaring 20s party. All the girls wore gorgeous flapper dresses and fabulous headbands (and one amazing Betty Boop!) - everyone looked really beautiful. The guys all were dressed as gangsters, with a couple of golfers and a zoot suit thrown in for good measure. Everyone looked absolutely amazing. Sean and I had to go against the grain, however...big surprise there. I was a gangster girl and Sean was Babe Ruth. He carried a bat, and I had a holster for my toy gun and lipstick. Actually it was a lip stain. Here's a picture:



Sean made the shirt himself.  Isn't he creative?  I wore black pointy toed stilettos that all the guys were afraid of as the shoes could inflict some serious damage if used for groin kicks.  Of course I would never do such a thing.

I realize that I often write about the difficult times I have with my not drinking, so I thought this time I'd write about a really positive experience.

I, of course, was in full character last night - speaking in a tough guy accent, randomly telling people to "Shut up!!!" - I had a blast.  And I wish I could remember who said this, but one of my friends said something like "See, this is the true Lauren.  This is why we love you.  You don't need booze at all!"

You know what?  She was right.

Maybe it's because I've had some other recent successes under my belt to look back on (college reunion was a blast too, booze free)...who knows why, exactly.  The important thing is that I really had one of the best nights I've had in a while, enjoying so many people, and I didn't miss the booze for one second.

Not even when a really funny gangster guy was yelling at me "ICE LUGE LAUREN!  NOW!!!"  The pressure was there, believe me, but a simple, persistent "no thanks" sufficed.  And I wasn't bummed at all.

I LOVE it when that happens!!!

So there you go.  I had the best time on my own terms.  A great, great night.  WAHOO!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment