Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Dear 18 year old Lauren....

Holy crap I'm 42.

I remember when I was in high school, and 30 not only seemed old, but also seemed far, far away.  Now I'm 42.

Things are a lot different now than they were when I was 18....

Then - the future was wide open.
Now - the future is open, but not as wide.

Then -  I knew one day I'd be a Mom, but it was far away.
Now - I'm the luckiest Mom of 2 amazing boys.

Then - I was living in Massachusetts, at boarding school.
Now - I'm living in Vermont.  I NEVER would have thought I'd end up in Vermont!

Then - I thought I'd be living in NYC someday.
Now - I LOVE to visit NYC.  Never lived there.

Then - I thought I'd never make friends as good as I did at boarding school.
Now - I've made such amazing friends along the way.....

If I could write a letter to my 18 year old self, maybe it would sound a little bit like this:

Dear 18 year old Lauren,

First of all, College is a privilege.  Don't party it away!!!  Don't waste all that money!  Get better grades, you dope!

You don't HAVE to kiss all those frogs....let some of them go unkissed.

 Start exercising now and make it a habit now.  The weight comes on fast and comes off slow.

Your sister will be on crutches for your wedding - just get prepared for that now.


Get the epidural.

Buy stock in Apple.  Immediately.


Take more chances and worry less.


Don't stress out so much about your babies when you have them!  If they're breathing at the end of the day, you've done a good job.


And finally, when you're 42, you still won't know what you want to be when grow up.


OH - and start using facial moisturizer.  Wrinkles aren't cute and you won't be 18 forever.


Love, 42 year old Lauren










2 comments:

  1. I knew 18yo boarding school Lauren and even without all that 42yo knowledge, she was still pretty darn rockin!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw....thanks Mo! The good ole' days...we had us some fun, didn't we? XOXO

      Delete