Thursday, May 10, 2012

Don't Try the Uni

This story makes me laugh every time I think about it.  It makes me cringe, too.  But it really shows the relationship I have with my faboo sister, Susan.

This was sometime in the 90s - I can't remember if we were in college or if I was going to one of Susan's reunions at Brown with her.  In either case, we were out with her friends at Tokyo, a sushi restaurant in Providence, RI where we are originally from.  Is it still there, does anyone know?

Anyway, we had tried different pieces of sushi throughout the visit, and Susan picked up Uni to try.  Neither of us had any idea what it was.

Susan put it in her mouth, chewed, swallowed, and immediately said to me. "Lauren, you HAVE to try this!  It's one of the best things I've ever eaten!"

Me:  "No, Suz, I think I'm done."

Susan:  "You HAVE to!  You'll be so bummed if you don't - it's SO GOOD!!!"

Me:  "No thanks, Susan, I'm done."

Susan:  "Please????  You'll love it I promise!"

Me:

Susan:  "PLEASE?!?!?!?!"

Me:  "You promise I'll love it?"

Susan:  "I PROMISE you'll absolutely LOVE it."

Me:  "OK."

Then I put a piece in my mouth and started chewing.  The consistency was like someone blew their nose in my mouth, with rice.  The nastiest thing I have ever eaten.  I covered my mouth in disgust.

Me:  "SUSAN!!!!  This is the grossest thing I've ever tried!!!"

Susan:  "I know!  Isn't it?"

Me:  "WHAT?!?!  You promised that I'd love it!!!"

Susan:  "I lied.  It's repulsive, but I wanted you to share the experience with me.  Now we're bonded forever over Uni!"

Me:  (gagging and laughing at the same time) "SUSAN I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DID THAT!!!"


I can TOTALLY believe she did that.  Her over-enthusiasm should have clued me in.  And, kudos to Susan for her acting abilities and not gagging when she ate that piece of uni - she tricked me but good.

Now every time she asks me to try something, I ask her "Is it really good, or is it Uni good?"

There's my sister in a nutshell, ladies and gentlemen.  Actually, she's much, much more than this story can convey, but this gives you a taste of our sense of humor when we're together.

And please, don't try the Uni.  It's really, really gross.





3 comments:

  1. Uni is best when eaten just after abalone diving. I agree, at a restaurant, it SUCKS ASS. But when you are cold and just pulled a giant urchin off the rocks some 15 feet under the Pacific Ocean, and now you are shivering on the rocks and your fingers are friggin cold, UNI rocks. Tis a weird thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not snotty right out of the sea? Good to know. I have to try that sometime....makes me want to go to Cali!

    ReplyDelete