Wednesday, March 18, 2015

My Oscar Speech

When my sister and I were little, we used to pretend we were on TV.  All the time.

So it should come as no surprise to any of you that I'm preparing my Oscar awards acceptance speech.

Premature?  Maybe.  But remember that 70s slogan "be prepared"?  I'm just getting my ducks in a row.

Some have said I should write a book.  I've sat down and tried, a few times.  It's not easy.  But the Oscar speech for when my non-book gets made into a movie?  Now THAT I can do.

Here's what I've got so far....


(flustered 'oh my gosh the view from up here' etc. for a couple of seconds)

First and foremost I want to thank all the people in blahblahblah organization who thought that my book would make a good screenplay (I know I'm reaching here, folks, just go with me).

To my family: my parents, step parents, brothers, in laws, nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles and cousins, I love love love you.

I never, ever considered myself a writer.  My sister had been after me for a while to start writing, and one day I listened.  So thank you, Susan, for convincing me to give writing a try.  You are my partner in crime for all time.  I love you most.

When I was a kid I often felt like I didn't belong anywhere.  Until I found this summer program in 1983.  I walked in an outsider, and walked out to never feel like an outsider again.  This place gave me, me.  For the first time.  So thank you to Dinah, who was the head of this program, Stuie, who taught me that "Risk is good", and Ann and Arnie for creating an amazing environment.  You all gave me the place that gave me confidence for the first time and I've never looked back.

To my NMH family, you let me spread my wings and try on different hats in a safe place where I was never judged, and always loved.  You all are home to me, after all these years, and always will be, no matter where we all go.

To my friend Caleb, who said "Just write."  It's quite simple, really, but I needed reminding.  Thank you for the reminder.

To my best friends, Katherine, Jill, Jennie, Amanda and Gina, thank you for calling me out when I do, say, or write something stupid and crappy.  And for so much more.  I love you guys.

To TJ, I thank you for showing the world what courage looks like.  Facing the world every day is a challenge for you, but no one would know it because you do it with such conviction and bravery.  You show everyone everyday that obstacles are only obstacles if you let them be.  You have made your autism a part of the amazing person you are.  You are not defined by it, but include it in that unique gift that you are, and that you give to everyone around you every day.  I love you.

To Peter, you have taught me what loyalty and unconditional love look like.  Growing up with a sibling with a disability is not easy, and instead of resenting it, you have made it a part of your sensitive, giving, loving nature.  You see the world differently because of the cards you have been dealt, and exude acceptance and love every day to everyone you meet.  You are remarkable.  It is my privilege to be your mom, and you make me proud every single second.  I love you.

And finally to Sean, my Dreamboat, my soft place to land, my home, my love.  Thank you for this wonderful crazy exhausting fantastic life we share.

Thank you.

Then some..."whoa, this is heavy!  haha..." as I walk away.

Or something like that.




1 comment:

  1. Every week-end I used to pay a fast visit this site, because I’d like enjoyment, because this web site conations certainly fussy material.http://dreamjobx.com/how-to-get

    ReplyDelete