Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Lessons Learned

Here are some things I've learned lately:

According to TJ, his cousins drive him "bazonkers".  That doesn't stop him from turning into Shecky Jordan at night and saying boarderline inappropriate things to make them all laugh.  I love it.

My brilliant sister, the smartest person I know, gets incredibly freaked out in water where she can't see her feet.  Never knew that.  And she still swims in the lake with her kids, because that's the kind of mom she is.

My brother-in-law is a fantastic person and so much fun to be around.  I already knew this but I just thought it should be said.

When you have a friend who just radiates goodness, and he has a faboo wedding to another guy who also radiates goodness, chances are it will be a fantastic wedding where you will love his friends, who also radiate goodness.  Even while giving some fierce Resting Bitch Face (or RBF).

My youngest is quite possibly the sweetest kid/young man on the planet.  Thoughtful, empathetic, helpful, loving.  With the best nose freckles evah.  

My Sean continues to be the biggest dreamboat, and the best friend, I could ever imagine.  And a great person to road trip with. 

And finally, I've learned that good things come to those who wait.  I'm 3 years sober today.  This past year has been a difficult struggle, to say the least, and it was worth every second to get me where I am today.  Happy and healthy.  With cute shoes.  Always with cute shoes.

Oh - I also learned that a ball thwacky game thingy is called a "ding-a-ling", which really just seems kind of insulting.  It should be named something much cooler.  Like Knuckle Buster.

2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog, and this particular post… and don't even know if you'll read this comment since the post is several months old… but hope you do, because I think you rock. Getting sober and staying sober isn't easy (26 years) but I don't know how I would have done it after my son was born. He's 22 now, and has "classic" or severe autism, non-verbal, lives residentially for almost seven years. I thank God the getting sober part was behind me when he came along, because I can't imagine the strength it would have taken to get sober at that point -- staying here has been challenge enough! So -- in addition to enjoying your blog and being inspired by it (as a fellow autism parent and fairly new blogger) my hat is off to you, Lauren. You are amazing. Keep writing! I love your voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristen!
      I'm so glad to read your comment - thank you so much for taking the time to write it. 26 years - inspiration! You are amazing! It's not easy but I keep telling myself if I can be strong for my kid, I can be strong for myself too. It's working today, anyway! Thank you for reading and I'm so glad to read your comment - my fellow mighty autism mom!

      Delete