Thursday, January 17, 2013

Sober Sisters

Last year was a rough one for me. It sucked, quite frankly.

One of the most difficult parts of the year was learning how to be a non-drinker in a drinking world. I am a minority. I never realized how much of a minority until I was there. And one of the unwritten rules of being a non-drinker, in my mind anyway, is that you have to be an OK strong non-drinker so that no one around you feels uncomfortable. Even when you're not OK with it. It's a very isolating thing.

Now to give credit to some of my wonderful friends, who I am truly blessed to have in my life, some went out of their way to make sure I was OK, and let me lean on them when I wasn't. In case you don't know, you wonderful friends of mine, your friendship and actions have meant the world to me. I would not have been successful without you. You know who you are.

But a surprise gift I have received along the way was a connection to two amazing women from my childhood school who reached out to me and shared their own journeys of sobriety with me. I am calling these Rock Stars my Sober Sisters. Their guidance, support and advice has been invaluable. While many of my friends are so well meaning, they can't relate to my experience the same way as someone who is going through the same thing. These fabulous Sober Sisters have been there through my struggles, frustrations, milestones and successes, sharing their own along the way. They are my inspiration.

And they didn't have to reach out to me; they chose to. They took time out of their days for me. And perhaps because I have known these girls since my young days, I feel like they get me - they know where I have come from.

So thank you, my Sober Sisters! I hope you know how much you continue to mean to me, and I hope you know that you can lean on me too - anytime. Day or night.

Here's to our continued successes! LOVE to you girls!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment